In recognition that an auxiliary organization was needed for the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Ladies Aid Societies began organizing in 1883. By 1886, a national organization was seen as necessary and the first national encampment was held in Akron, Ohio in September, 1887. At the 1904 national encampment in Boston, Massachusetts the name was changed to "Sons of Veterans' Auxiliary," with the current name, National Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War External, coming into use some time later.
The following titles link to fuller bibliographic information in the Library of Congress Online Catalog. Links to additional online content are included when available.