Skip to Main Content

Religion Collections in Libraries and Archives: Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia

Friends Meeting of Washington Library

Introductory Information

Friends Meeting of Washington Library

Address: 2111 Decatur Place NW, Washington, DC 20008-1912

Telephone number: 202-483-3310

Contact information

Online catalog

Digital Collections link

Access Policies

Hours of service: By appointment

Open to the public: Yes, by appointment

Interlibrary loan: No

Reference policy: Reference requests are accepted by:  telephone, email, in-person.

Background note:
The library was founded in 1932.

Content

Books and monographs
The collection holds approximately 2,400 volumes with inclusive dates covering the 18th through the 20th centuries. Strengths of this collection are Quakers and the Religious Society of Friends.

Periodicals and newspapers
There are 87 current subscriptions on the Society of Friends from Great Britain, Germany, and the United States. The collection consists primarily of current newsletters and flyers from Friends organizations. Friends Journal is bound since 1966. This Meeting also has a collection of Swarthmore and other lecture series and some proceedings. Very little is exhaustive or comprehensive.

Archives, manuscripts, correspondences, and/or oral histories
Most archives and manuscripts for this meeting house are located at Swarthmore, PA.

Vertical files
There are approximately 18 linear feet of pamphlets dating from 1934. The strength of this collection is Society of Friends, peace studies, conscientious objection, disarmament, and other areas of interest to the Society of Friends. About two thirds of the collection is published by Pendle Hill Publishers.

Databases and/or electronic resources

Subject Headings

Conscientious objection; Pacifism--Religious aspects—Society of Friends; Peace studies; Society of Friends

Bibliography

Stevens, Mary Channell. The History of the Library in Friends Meeting House, Washington, DC. Washington, DC: Friends Meeting House of Washington, DC, 1957.